The following are basic requirements that the Church and our brotherhood maintain for any man inquiring into our way of life:
- You must be a practicing Catholic man between the ages of 18 and 35, regularly seeing a priest as your confessor for the sacrament of reconciliation and receiving the eucharist frequently.
- You must be in a state of good mental, physical and emotional health. A psychological exam may be required.
- You must be without any canonical impediment (i.e. any previous ‘marriage’ must be annulled; you have no dependent children, etc.).
- You must be a high school graduate or have achieved its equivalent (G.E.D.).
- You must be free of major debt.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident prior to submitting application to us.
Because we live exclusively on Divine Providence, we cannot provide any financial assistance to those men in foreign countries who may wish to travel to the U.S. to discern their vocation with us. However, we welcome all inquiries and will discuss the possibility of a visit if you are able to travel to Minneapolis / St. Paul on your own and have remained in contact with us for at least a year. If you meet all of the above requirements, we invite you to take the next step in your discernment process:
Requirements for Postulancy—Discerning a vocation to live one’s life as a Franciscan Brother of Peace involves a series of required steps leading to formation. These steps are:
- Initial Contact
- Come & See Visits
- Application & letters of recommendation submitted
- Invitation to enter
- Postulancy (1 year / 12 months)